June 6, 2008

Not "IF" but "WHEN"

My husband always said this phrase to me about my computer crashing. I always felt sorry for "those people" when I hear that they've lost everything. Well...my "when" finally happened last night. Luckily, per my hubby's suggestion, I always back everything up on an external hard drive (and discs which I know is old school, but it just makes me feel better for some reason). So now, I have to "recover" my computer from scratch and then make sure everything gets put back just the right way. So here is my lesson of the day. Even if you're not a professional photographer and a gazillion high res pictures on your computer, chances are you have some pretty important pictures of some sort just sitting on your computer. If your computer crashes today, would you have those backed up somewhere, or would that be it? It's like the old thought that if your house was burning down and everyone was safe, you'd make sure to grab your family pictures on the way out! It's the same thing with pictures in the digital age. You have to back up important documents/pictures on DVDs or external hard drives etc. These safety nets are so inexpensive these days, it's silly not to do so. So, my challenge for you this week is to copy your favorites documents, pictures etc. from your computer and put them in a safe place...or even a different location! Because WHEN your computer crashes, you DON'T want to cry your eyes out! Signing off from my friend's computer...Kiera

4 comments:

  1. oh friend! i'm so sorry...glad you had the back-ups. i just was talking to my husband about getting an external hard drive for our laptop. so thanks for the reality check and hope everything gets put together soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry, girl, but good for you, backing up! I'm GREAT at backing up clients' stuff, but not so great at the ones of my own family. eek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why you should go ahead and get a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments. Jakey...more on you later. I'm continuing to back up more and more often. Everything is back up and running, I'm just a bit behind in other things.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Here you will find all of my recent photography work, new product information, plus tidbits of my personal life. If you would like more information about booking a wedding or portrait/senior session, please visit either one of my websites. The link is at the top to the left. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy!