June 10, 2009

Comfort

You know when you talk to your friend, read their blog, etc and you just feel totally comfortable with them? Well, that's how I feel about Sara. We went to DePauw together and I even stayed with her lovely family in Hawaii on my way to Australia back in the day. On her blog, she writes about her daily life as a mama, wife and woman. We are SO in the same place right now and I really enjoy reading her blog and picturing my own kids her exact situations. Recently Sara wrote about having an awesome summer and what it will take for her to have it. I was totally inspired and had to share it with all the mama's that read my blog. Did I mention she is hilarious and a brilliant writer. Check it out and you'll agree.

I LOVE the idea of being spontaneous. And as much as it is possible for my life and family, I am up for it. But four children means that I have to have a plan. I can't walk out the door in 5 minutes--it takes at least 15, and that's only if we're already dressed. Unclothed=20 minutes minimum. Activities outside the house can last a maximum of 2.5 hours, before the next meal time. Unless I pack lunch, which adds another 15 minutes on to our departure time.

The heart of the battle to enjoy (versus survive) my summer are my own expectations. I now know that life with 4 kids is logistically difficult. Someone is going to scream and probably be some degree of unhappy all the time. I am okay with that. But it helps to be ready. To anticipate what does and does not work. To know limits, when to push them and when to step back. To know what can be solved with a juice box and what requires a timeout.

So here is my pep talk for Summer '09: I will be prepared! I will enjoy our moments at home and broaden the horizons of my children outside the house! I will plan ahead, and look at the weather forecast ahead of time! I will be consistent! I will potty train my last child (or cry until Mike does it...I do have a weekend away in July!)! I will have a GREAT attitude, even when they beat me up a little. I will be intentional with the time we have, because it is shockingly short. And one day I will want it back, when I forget what it sounds like to have 4 young voices yelling/crying at me. I will work HARD to give them a great summer...and also rest easy and give myself the grace to relax!
You with me, moms?

And some pictures of my own from my camera to complete the post:

Xavier pulling up his pants after I caught him peeing on the neighbors house...sorry Bryan!



Eli REALLY trying to fit in the Barbie car. Let's face it...this kid couldn't even fit into it when he was born! Bless his heart :o)


Cool Uncle Jonny giving my kids "tatoos"....and yes, they will be writing on themselves all summer. Thanks dude.


Daddy took us out to Peppy's Grill for dinner the other night. Kids get free suckers with their meals. Delicious! Yes,the diner is really that big.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and the previous list. :) They're awesome, and maybe I'll copy your list idea on my blog...if I ever update it again!

    Hope all's well with you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Here you will find all of my recent photography work, new product information, plus tidbits of my personal life. If you would like more information about booking a wedding or portrait/senior session, please visit either one of my websites. The link is at the top to the left. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy!