September 15, 2008

New York! New York!

I love New York City! I always have. Instead of going to Florida for spring break in high school one year, I went to the Big Apple and saw a million shows on Broadway. I spent my senior Winter Term at DePauw there working for the Children's Television Network (Sesame Street) right in Midtown. And again, saw shows the whole time I was there. For me...it's a great place to visit, and after seeing strollers on the subway, I'm happy that I'm a Hoosier. I'm pretty sure I would have lost a kid or two in the hustle and bustle of the things. It's funny how things change as you get older...I would have NEVER thought about strollers when I was 21! All that being said, I had not been there since 9/11 and was very excited to reconnect with the fast paced city. I met my sweet friend, Naomi, there for a few days to help her pass away the time before she went back to South Africa. I've known Naomi since 1999 when I lived in Scotland. What can you say about Naomi...a lot. She's one of those people you meet and then you never want to be too far from her. Anyone who meets Naomi becomes a better person.  NOt only does she bring out the best in people (I love that quality) she actually always thinks the best of people (something I can always learn from!)  "Aunt Nomi" as we call her in this house, did her PhD work in Ohio, then worked at Tufts in Boston and now works at a university in South Africa (she's wicked smart). She was over in the States for a few months, seeing old friends and teaching up in Canada for a while. She had a 3 day layover in NYC and asked if I wanted to join her for some fun...ummm...okay! 

Sidenote:  I've always loved Greenwich Village and SOHO. One of my favorite things this time around was walking into a really cute store, looking at the price tag that said $200.00 for a t-shirt (seriously?), perusing around the store for a bit to not look too out of place, leaving and then laughing hysterically that someone would pay 200 for a t-shirt. Ironically, I'm pretty sure they knew I was out of place since I totally wore my tennis shoes with my outfit that day (I knew we'd be walking a lot!..I'm so old)

Anyhoo... I took a ton of pictures, so I just had to make a quick slideshow of my favorites. Some are from Naomi's camera too. I played around with some fun effects. Here is a top 11 list of things that I loved about my trip ( and to look for while viewing the slideshow).

11. I got to be with the sensational Naomi
10. Very large signs celebrating the CW (I've now admitted that I'm a total closet CW fan...90210 anyone?)
9. I saw The Lion King
8. I ate at Irish/Scottish Pubs
7. I found a peanut butter cafe and went into a sugar coma (this one is only for Americans apparently)
6. We both loved walking through Dylan's Candy Bar...luckily there is NOT one in Indiana
5. We had a cool bathroom in our hotel
4. I love the movement of NYC and tried to capture it in some photos
3. Central Park. Period.
2. Bryant Park, even though it's under construction (I love the movie August Rush)
1. Going to Ground Zero.

lymi Nomi...

1 comment:

  1. I used to go to NYC for every spring break because Pat lived an hour away. I miss it!!! This makes me want to go now!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Here you will find all of my recent photography work, new product information, plus tidbits of my personal life. If you would like more information about booking a wedding or portrait/senior session, please visit either one of my websites. The link is at the top to the left. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy!