September 24, 2008

Photo Tips: Garage Lighting

I love talking about photography, and I've often passed on the following tip: LOVE YOUR GARAGE. Yup, garage light is so yummy. Nothing is direct inside the garage, so nobody squints. Plus, the light looks diffused because it's bouncing all over the place. My kids were riding their bikes in our garage last week and as I looked over at them, they looked so beautiful in the light. So, I ran to get my black fabric (any ol' bed sheet will do) and used those grippy thingies (I'm very technical) to hold it up. If you were driving by and saw my ladder and random sheet, would think it looked totally janky, but the 5 minute photo session turned out great. My awesome neighbors were over, so I made them sit down too. I think it's so important to get in pictures of yourself now...especially if you're the picture taker of the family (thanks Mindy!). So here is my "challenge" for you. Grab an old sheet (whatever color you have), put a simple little stool, pillow, basket etc. in front of the sheet, turn the faces towards the light, and have your kids be silly. Enjoy!

PS I really did just use light/dark bed sheets until this year, when I decided...maybe I should be more professional :o) So I went to JoAnn Fabrics (with my 50% off coupon of course!) and bought a cream and a black piece of fabric...I tried to find the one with the longest width in cotton. I then scrunch mine into a ball so it has a bit of texture and no distinct lines.

2 comments:

  1. So fun! Those are awesome for you to have. I love the last one, so sweet. Can't wait for next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last one too. I had such an awesome time with you last weekend. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Here you will find all of my recent photography work, new product information, plus tidbits of my personal life. If you would like more information about booking a wedding or portrait/senior session, please visit either one of my websites. The link is at the top to the left. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy!