May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

I have a new and amazing friend, Lisa. Isn't it fun making new friends! She even has her own business! She is an extraordinary writer. I either laugh and/or cry every time she writes something. She sent the following letter to me today in lieu of Mother's Day. Pass it on to those you love!


Hi Sweet Friends~

It's Sunday afternoon.
Mother's Day.
3:58 p.m.
I awakened to a kitchen full of bows of soggy cereal and a sign taped to the cabinets...'Happy Mother's Day!'. With a colored paper plate for decoration.
Better than any bouquet I've ever received.
I have four gorgeous healthy kids "playing" downstairs (read: "occasionally fighting, fussing and a loud bang followed by wailing...then some laughter.)
There are half eaten sliced apples on the counter, pieces of cheese on a chair and Claire just told me she was hungry. I suggested looking on the furniture.

A little over a decade ago, I wondered if I would ever be a mother.
Now I, like all of you, can't remember what it was like to be without small people...in the backseat, the backyard, the bathroom.
I am blessed.
They drive me nuts.
Make me weary.
Test my patience.
And remind me everyday that I, like you, am the luckiest mom alive.

20 minutes ago, they were dancing in my bedroom...until the eldest accidentally "danced" over his younger brother. It was an accident. Honest. (yeah)
But they dance.
Even when the last couple years have been difficult to dance through.
They laugh.
Even on days that I am at wits end and get 'loud'.
They still want hugs, kisses and backrubs at night.
Even when they only muster up a high-5 when they see me at school.

God, in his infinite wisdom and mercy gave me these children.
And gave you yours.
The children who pull our bodies, our minds, our sanity, our hearts.
He knew I needed to let go of myself, so He planted someone inside.

On this rainy, cool mother's day, I know some of you will not get a lavish display of Happy Mother's Day.
You won't get a manicure.
Get to see a movie.
Go out to eat.
You'll make them lunch they won't appreciate,
slice apples that sit on the counter,
and wonder why the ironing board is sitting in the middle of the family room floor. (seriously...what ARE they doing?)

Or, you'll remember the days when you had ironing boards in the middle of the floor.

But,
whatever your season...
in the midst of it all,
or welcoming the next generation of characters...

Thank you for being a wonderful mother...even when you feel you aren't. It gives me hope.
Thank you for walking this path of insane joy.

and,
may you have a blessed Mother's Day.

with love,

Lisa

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Here you will find all of my recent photography work, new product information, plus tidbits of my personal life. If you would like more information about booking a wedding or portrait/senior session, please visit either one of my websites. The link is at the top to the left. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy!