April 3, 2009

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

I had the wonderful opportunity to volunteer my time at the Extreme makeover: Home Edition. Being a wife of a builder I was in awe of how quickly everything was put together. In the time I was there an entire fence was put up, hardwood floors were installed and an entire backyard was landscaped! Seriously? Not only was everything a well-oiled machine, but the energy was sensational. All of the volunteers just blew me away. From dusting and picking up wood, to passing out drinks and snacks, they were always smiling!  The spirit of volunteerism was really overwhelming.  

I also got to meet Michael, Ed, Paige, and their awesome crew.  It was fun to watch them do "takes" and to see their personalities...all lovely :o)

Coming from a rehabbed neighborhood myself, I am sooo happy to hear the Estridge is also doing many other houses in the neighborhood.  We are all about bringing community to the inner city.  Yaye Estridge!

WARNING: some of the pictures below show the house a bit, so if you want a surprise, you'll have to wait until late May.





















































































































3 comments:

  1. Great Photos. Thank you for helping this family, Thsnk you and your family for starting the process of change.

    Some will say in a year it will just be the same place with the same problems, I drove to the first neighborhood where an entire city came together to help not just one family, but dozens of families. It was our first season, and five years ago.

    Her name is Sweet Alice and she lives in South Central Los Angeles, her neighborhood had flooded and she lost everything but her spirit. We came to help her, but there were so many other families on her block who lost everything. It was the first time that people just started showing up and saying “how can I help.” Hundreds and Hundreds everyday. They cleaned out houses and painted. Planted trees and flowers. Picked up junk, and met people in their front yards. I remember one of Alice’s neighbors saying to a couple scrapping peeling paint off the side of her house, “What are you doing here…This is South Central. Not Beverly Hills.”

    I have come to realize that our house is a metaphor for a much larger statement. The trees were five yeas older, the flowers have taken over, everything else was like the day we left, except this time when I drove down her street, children were playing in it, and not hiding in their house. Thank You to the thousands of volunteers who show that by helping the one, we help us all.
    Conrad Ricketts
    Executive Producer, Extreme Makeover Indianapolis Edition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous project! Your pics tell a wonderful story of a community coming together to help an individual family. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Here you will find all of my recent photography work, new product information, plus tidbits of my personal life. If you would like more information about booking a wedding or portrait/senior session, please visit either one of my websites. The link is at the top to the left. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy!